Thursday, April 1, 2010

potatoes & onions

I just planted 23 seed potatoes and 24 onion sets. They're all in the
bed in the foreground. I dug three trenches for the potatoes, set them
in and covered them lightly. I'll continue to fill in the trench as
they grow. This is my first time trying the trench method. It's more
labor than the "square-foot" method in my raised beds but I'm hoping
it will be easier to fill them in, rather than carting wheelbarrows
over to mound up around the plant.

I planted 11 Yukon golds and 12 red Pontiac. I'm new to Pontiacs but
they should be a good keeper. This is also my first time planting
onions. Hope I did it right. They are Stuttgarter variety. I set them
about 4 inches apart and left the little point exposed. It seemed kind
of shallow but I think it's supposed to peak out. I planted 12 on
each end, capping the potato trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment