Saturday, May 8, 2010

first harvest - radishes!

Yesterday I picked a couple dozen 'easter egg radishes'. They
probably could have stayed in the ground another week but I needed the
space to plant some green beans. My daughter helped me lovingly pick
them all, saving the big guys and washing them off in the sink. They
were all different colors and really beautiful. Too bad we both hate
radishes! I only grow them because they're always the first thing
ready and it's instant gratification. Luckily my mom likes them or
they would have all gone to waste.

I also got my hands on some sweet corn seeds and decided I should
plant a few since they're Beverly's absolute favorite. I germinated
them indoors and then set out the promising ones. They're all coming
up nicely! I planted about 14 butter and sugar variety in the back
beds that I've put pole beans at the base of. Then I put about 6 of a
bicolor variety called Quickie in the front patch.

Indoors the tomato plants and squashes are getting huge and
spending most of their time on the deck (along with my cotton, melon,
and peppers). The nights are supposed to get down in the 40s this
weekend so I'll have to wait a bit more to set them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment